Friday, September 22, 2023

September 22nd - Pilgrim's Progress - The Great 1678 Christian Allegory

The story...

"If you're in a frustrating exchange with another person - drop the tug-of-war rope."  I remember hearing this from another person who was describing this "tool" as one she used on her journey to being more okay with herself - to the point of seeing herself as worthy of love and offering love to others too.  It seemed easy to do so I "tried it on" for a few days and was surprised at the good results.  I shared my exuberance with the "tool" application success at the next meeting - I was ready to try on more live-giving behaviors and ideas from those who had traveled a similar road before.  As I listened to and shared, our lives began to grow together - we seemed to be walking side-by-side as fellow sojourners towards the "Celestial City" - enjoying the trip too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The Pilgrims Progress

The only church in town will allow those who might read Pilgrim's Progress to understand the allegory within the reality of God's revealed Word.  The church will offer fellow pilgrims God's revelation about Himself, faith, hope, peace, joy and sustenance for the most adventurous journey.


Just for today...

"It's a wonderful opportunity to practice giving unconditional love and support by simply listening.  Many of us hear stories that are similar to our own; others can often identify with the feelings that are expressed. Perhaps we will be reminded of where we have been and how far we have come."  Courage to Change (p. 266)

"Worrying about trifles saps my spiritual energy which I could certainly put to better use. Am I willing to waste my life in this way? . . . I will not be made uneasy by what others do, whether they intend to hurt me or not. I will not clutter up my thoughts with resentment; it would not profit me, worse it would hurt me."  One Day at a Time (p. 266)

"Sometimes I'm afraid I'll have to separate from my family members to maintain my quest for healthy living, especially when they deny and justify their unacceptable behavior . . . I am slowly learning that trying to change someone else's behavior to suit my needs is an exercise in futility and frustration. Truly profound power and peace lie in the ability to change my behavior to suit my needs . . . I can accept people as they are."  Hope for Today (p. 266)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...