Thursday, September 21, 2023

September 21st - When you find yourself in a hole - quit digging.

The story...

I'm standing in a McDonalds line on the way back from a trip where I was less than a team player.  For whatever reasons, I resented efforts from other people to bend plans for the two-family trip according to their expectations, perceptions, needs and wants - I must've thought that I knew best for everyone.  I was frustrated with everything about that restaurant and all the people who were there too.  It was bad enough that I remember thinking - "this is not okay, you need to be different."  Something had to change - I remember waiting in the line and pondering the situation so it must have been an impactful moment of my life.  "There's got to be a better way."


How do we know when we're not acting or thinking as a whole person - missing something that we need to make wise decisions?  We might: think wrongly, act in selfishness, resent what others did or who they seem to be, know less than necessary, have isolated ourselves from needed compadres, be trying to prevent further wounds, be focusing on pleasing people, be co-dependent on other people, or possibly separated from the Spirit of God.  As if those reasons aren't enough to pause before acting, the acronym HALT comes to mind - pause if you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.

Might the only church in town offer a true message of hope, peace, and joy (Romans 15:13)?  Might a humble, more truthful, life-walk relationship with God be the good life?  Yes...


Just for today...

"Although my life was full of chaos, it was familiar chaos, which gave me the feeling that I had some control over it. This was an illusion."  Courage to Change (p. 265)

"With my thoughts distorted by fear, despair and resentment, and my nerves overwrought, I could not think clearly nor make wise decisions."  One Day at a Time (p. 265)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...