Monday, September 9, 2024

September 9th - Where do I go if I don't need to go anywhere?

The story...

Being a relatively young retiree, I've time, resources and capabilities that are ready to go.  The big question is: where do I go if I don't need to go anywhere?  Here's an attempt to list the decision criteria that I might use in no particular order.  Will doing it:

  • benefit me in the future?
  • help me feel better?
  • give me something to be proud of?
  • help relive my unwanted feelings?
  • be with people I'm comfortable being around?
  • make me more secure physically or financially?
  • give me something to talk about?
  • glorify and honor God and His Word?
  • help me remember "better" times?
  • fulfill my obligations, or promises, to other people?
  • occupy my mind so that I won't be thinking, or dwelling on, negative thoughts?
  • hurt me or diminish my capabilities?
  • help me to love and be loved?
  • teach me something new?
  • fulfill a latent need or want?
Not surprisingly, only one was not primarily about me - it's highlighted in bold.  Personally, I want to walk through my life journey humbly and justly with God - Micah 6:8.  I say "yes" to a life with choices that leads to a productive and peaceful life where "we" might experience true joy, Romans 15:13.



The only church in town will offer power, peace, rest, and hope amidst all circumstances.  A respite where we might set our focus from ourselves to our Lord and Savior - a loving Father (Abba).

Just for today...

"Am I using my capabilities well? Do I recognize and appreciate all I have to be grateful for? Actually I am the possessor of unlimited resources."  One Day at a Time (p. 253)

"Does my face look calm? Don't be fooled. I'm just afraid to let you see the truth. You might think I'm foolish or weak. You might reject me. So I don't talk, and the pain remains." Courage to Change (p. 253)

"... I don't have to respond to the face of anger. I don't have to explain my motives to an irrational person." Hope for Today (p. 253)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...