Tuesday, November 14, 2023

November 14th - My survival skills

The story...

Most of us developed survival skills to make it through K-12 - our elementary, junior, and high school years. High school was when I was expected to learn and experience what I needed to be a full-functioning member of society.  The graduation speech said that we had limitless potential within the United States of America.  What did I do over those 13 years?

  • Learned to obey the teacher, complete assignments, and value good grades.
  • Progressed through boy scouts to the rank of "Life Scout."
  • Fulfilled the job requirements of a paper delivery boy for 4 yrs. - wasn't motivated to sell new subscriptions but faithfully delivered the papers and collected the money.
  • Built a large wooden tool box, smashed my thumb with a hammer, sewed my own reversible vest, and cooked potato soup.in junior-high shop class.  They required the boys to take home-economics for two months during 8th grade.
  • Completed drivers education and was awarded my drivers license.
  • Fulfilled the requirements of a drug store general worker and delivery boy for 2 yrs.  Crashed their cars several times.
  • Developed friends - mostly from band and work experiences.
  • Completed all the math classless offered and survived the English classes.
  • Fell in love multiple times yet didn't experience the boy-girl friend closeness that I hoped for.

My High School

Who was I at that graduation ceremony?
  • Accepted Christ as my Savior at eight.
  • Learned a work ethic and financial skills with the money I earned.
  • Distanced myself from the church - worked every other Sunday.
  • Became a story-teller to engage in group conversation.
  • Looked for love where I thought it might be found - love was elusive.
  • Interacted socially yet never really felt like I fit in.
  • Accepted at a state college - to be an engineer.  There I expected to start over - to be somebody.
  • Learned survival skills - boundaries, armor, and habits.

The only church in town is a place where you can learn the reality of being truly okay.  Okay with God, you, and your neighbors too.  I was so thankful, in 1980, when Steve and Marlene said to me:  "We would like you to go to church with us - please come."


Just for today...

"I was powerless over my childhood. The survival skills that I developed made my adult life unmanageable."  Hope for Today (p. 319)

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."  Galatians 5:1 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...