Sunday, November 12, 2023

November 12th - Learning to Love

The story...

They gave me the choice of surgery on both of my bunions at once or doing one at at time.  Doing both would have required me to navigate a wheel chair.  Friends within my workplace encouraged me to do both so that I might more fully experience the dilemmas of handicapped people within the workplace - they wanted me to voice my concerns and bring attention to the problems and possible solutions.  "You could help other people and open our workplace up to those with handicaps."

I did one at a time and hobbled around on crutches twice.  I didn't experience the wheel chair barriers yet I did need help from many people.  I needed and asked for help.  The help felt like love - I was soo... thankful and seemed to have become a more "whole" person.

SF's Quarterback "Brock Purdy" is a favorite

Might I've best learned to love by allowing others to love me as a boy?  What would it have taken for that to happen?  I would've had to: believe that true love existed, witness it being given to others, believe that I was worthy of love, trust the giver, allow imperfect people to give it in their own way, believe it, know that I'm lovable, and eventually offer love to others from the source. 

The only church in town will be characterized by loving God, others, and themselves too. It won't be a type of imagined loved that's worked up through self effort - it'll be a gift from God.  


Just for today...

"You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; and just so you learn to love God and man by loving. Begin as a mere apprentice and the very power of love will lead you on to become a master of the art.Francis de Sales

"He has told you, mortal one, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?"  Malachi 6:8 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...