Saturday, February 3, 2024

February 3rd - Living in the Present

 The story...

I started school younger than my peers and grew up shorter and more gangly too.  I imagined and hoped for what I might look like when I grew up - then I'd fit in and be more loved and respected.  Tall, big chested, riding a thundering-black motorcycle, playing the trumpet better than anyone else, and experiencing true love and total acceptance from "her."

How might the one church in town have taught me to accept and love myself as I was - in the present?  To work out who I was in realty - more independent and secure - positioned to be interdependent with others. 

Life clearly only occurs in the present yet I've spent way to much time dreaming of the future and trying to make sense of, or even trying to change, the past.  How could the spiritual leaders and church community have facilitated my being pulled more into the present?  Were they able to share the actualities of their reality?   Is it possible that they tried but I couldn't hear?  Was my selfish nature so guarded and cemented that I was unable to grow until "X" years of life experience?


Just for today...

How do we accept our physical appearance?  If you love yourself as God loves you in Christ then you are free to accept yourself and others too - just the way we are. Does that sound a bit like Jane Eyre?


"I pray for the wisdom to understand my difficulties clearly and honestly, and for the strength to do something constructive about them.  I know that I can count on God's help in this."  One Day at a Time (p. 34)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...