Monday, February 5, 2024

February 5th - Idealized Hopes

 The story ...

The lyrics, of the MercyMe's song "I Can Only Imagine," kindle wonderful images in both my imagination and inner man.   What will the reality of the next life be like?  Scripture reveals Words from God and images that people were given, or experienced, such as in Isaiah 6.   I expect that all of our images are wrong; yet, close enough to motivate us to move toward them and experience real grow along the way.  

I imagined how my future spouse would fulfill me by meeting my love needs.  It probably didn't occur to me that she would also be hoping that I would fulfill her love needs and that she wouldn't be capable of fulfilling mine. These idealized hopes likely kept us moving forward until we rested in reality versus the ongoing strain of striving for an unattainable "best."  I've heard it said that insecure singe people, who marry to fill the void they feel, will likely idolize their spouse.  If and when their spouse doesn't fulfill their fantasy, then the idolizing may turn into demonizing.

I can only imagine the only church in town, that might be characterized as "the best," yet I doubt that it can every truly exist.  Personally, I've spent too many destructive hours critiquing the church, and the people in it, for not meeting my expectations.  Might the attainable good church be the place where people learn to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God in Christ (Micah 6:8).

Might the "good" only church in town best be communicated as a painting?  I admire those who can paint what they see or imagine in their mind.  I'm not an artist yet I did invest a chunk of my life toward imaging and painting something that was hidden in my inner man. I understand that it's best to just display a painting and let the viewer decide what it means to them.  So, here it goes - my first public display of my artwork.  Please be kind.


Thoughts for the day ...

"Think," yet resist those thoughts that are impulsive, compulsive or reactive.  Aretha Franklin has something good to say about thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...