Sunday, February 4, 2024

February 4th - Creeds - what we believe?

The story...

My pastor, during my High School years, selected responsive readings from the back of the hymnal.  He might've inserted them into the order of service to: support his sermon message; teach more personally about who God is and what He expects; teach church doctrine; be obedient to a prompting of God's Spirit; or maybe it was just what a good pastor did.  Whatever his reasons, I felt an internal conflict when chanting back those responsive readings along with the crowd.  I felt conflicted when vowing and repeating things that I didn't understand very well.  I don't remember thinking that these professions were untrue - I felt more like a Charlatan when claiming something that may not be true with me.  I remember being silent and listening while the crowd recited their truth.

My personal efforts to work up love, joy, peace, patience, faithfulness, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control came up short.   I couldn't conjure up the kind of fruit that God can work out through me - the fruit truly does seem to be a gift from God that allows me to be okay in most circumstances.  

How might the only church in town be different?   Maybe the responsive readings would be interpreted or explained before they were recited as the "gospel truth."  Personally, I appreciate succinct statements regarding the Christian faith.  I'm so thankful that a group of Christians could agree on the Nicene Creed in 325 AD - it's complete, succinct and easy to grasp.  

We believe in one God, the father almighty, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible. And in one lord, Jesus the anointed, the only begotten son of God, begotten of the father before all worlds, light from light, true God from true God, begotten not made, being of one substance with the father, by whom all things were made. Who for us humans and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate by the holy spirit and the virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of the father. And he shall come again to judge both the living and the dead. Whose kingdom shall have no end.

Just for today...

"We're only too ready to look outside ourselves for the reasons for our afflictions, when the real enemy is self-deception."  One Day at a Time (p. 35)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...