Wednesday, February 21, 2024

February 21st - Friendship

The story...

I didn't choose to be a Jim Carrey fan - maybe I just am one by nature.  "When Nature Calls" is Jim's movie that I'm reminded of most often.   The scene where he learns to communicate with the Chief and his son makes me laugh every time I think of it.  I don't expect that they'd likely end up as close friends yet the movie reminds me of the awkward moments that may be the beginnings of friendship.  I assume that Jim Carrey fans can be friends with non-Jim Carrey fans yet I expect that close friends do share much in common.

For me, close friendships have sometimes been illusive and I greatly value those that I have.  C.S. Lewis, in his book The Four Loves, wrote a great summary of what friendship is and he valued the few close friends he had.  Pursuing a relationship for our own sake is bound to fail.  Relationship success seems more likely when we will what's good for the other person, share much in common, and walk side-by-side together in an honest sort of way.


J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis

Jesus, in his humanity, seemed to have three close friends - one being His closest friend.  Chapter one of Thomas Merton's book "No man is an Island" gave me further understanding of the qualities of a good-friend relationship and our role in them.  Since these relationships are important, yet not necessary, it seems that we should value those we have and be alert to close friendship opportunities.

Within the only church in town, I hope that every person would have at least one close friend.  I've often heard that people are most happy and engaged in the workplace when they have a best friend. This same will likely be true within the only church in town too.


Just for today...

"May God preserve me from the love of a friend who will never dare to rebuke me.  May He preserve me from the friend who seeks to do nothing but change and correct me.No Man is an Island - Merton (p. 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...