Sunday, December 17, 2023

December 17th - Being honest with reality - your true self.

The story...

I was one of the youngest kids in my first-grade class and I grew in stature a little slower than most kids.  I hoped to be tall, like both of my parents younger brothers, yet it seemed like it wasn't going to happen for me.  Unexpectedly, I grew to over six-foot during my senior year of high school and throughout my freshman year of college too.  My physical height seemed to effect my identity.  Shorter people let me know that I was lucky to be respected "merely" for my exceptional height.

Everybody loves Raymond - Robby - his "little" brother."

Now my physical height is shrinking along with the flattening discs in my spine.  I might grow in height again if my surgeon fuses more discs together by jacking up my spine with metal rods like they did in November, 2009.  If they do, I'll be a bit taller, yet now I'm not so naive to think that my identity will have changed.  I've better learned who I am throughout my life and I'm okay with me along with my many defects.  I like me best when I am walking with "we" and not isolated by myself.

Our true selves are likely the ones that we'll work out throughout all eternity as opposed to the changing self who adapts to his current needs, capabilities, situations, environments, rule sets, groups, and the opinions of others.  I'm so thankful that the Word of God says that I'm "far" better aligned and positioned with "That Than Which There Is No Greater." 

The only church in town will let you know of your true identity, for both this life and the eternal one to come.  Yes, your true identity can be found in the Son of God, our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. They will read the scriptures and trust in the unseen realities that can be worked out in both this life and the eternal one to come - the good life.


Just for today...

"I can risk being my true self with family members and allow family members to risk being themselves with me."  Hope for Today (p. 352)

"Resentments mark the place where I see myself as a victim . . . I will love myself enough to release myself from the closet in which resentments keep me locked."  Courage to Change (p. 352)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...