Tuesday, June 4, 2024

June 4th - But I was beginning to win under the old rules...

The story...

"The times are changing.  It's becoming real bad like God said it will be before He comes back to discipline and restore. Can't you see what's happening?  Are you just going to stand around and do nothing?"  I've heard different variations of this story throughout my life.  People afraid of a future where other people will connive to change the rules of the the game of life in their favor.  The status quo wants to keep the "rule set" that governed their life - just when it looked like they might win in the game of life, bad people want to change the rules.


The Game of Life

I know God is the creator and I'm the creature.  I know in part and God knows all. 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord."  Isaiah 55:8-9 (NASB).

The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us..." Deuteronomy 29:29 (NASB).

Is it reasonable that living within the will of our Creator and Sustainer is best?  Is His will knowable?  If so, what should I do today?  What will I do today?  What's the difference between the two?

Today I plan to:

  • act faithfully to fulfill my commitments
  • read part of God's revealed Word
  • praise God and be receptive in prayer
  • love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, and strength
  • love me in Christ and my neighbor as myself
  • step forward and trust God with the results
  • be thankful

The only church in town will have people who fear more than trust in God and His Word.  The Spirit of Christ bearing fruit through His people will compel old-sinful selves to give up their struggle and trust God's revealed truth.  Yet, their selfish old nature will compel them to reject this wonderful new reality and the different set of principles and rules that go with it.  The old master of their life is tough but they've adapted to him - this new life seems real good yet doesn't seem doable or sustainable - yes, it would take the power of God to live a life like that.


Just for today...

"If I were to pray: "My will be done," wouldn't it be exactly what I am saying when I ask God to do what I want?"  One Day at a Time (p. 156)

"I used to think I always had to do something and that waiting was a waste of time.  Now I know God speaks to me while I'm waiting."  Hope for Today (p. 156)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...