Saturday, June 1, 2024

June 1st - Expectations for Others - Pre-Meditated Resentments?

The story...

I was a volunteer soccer coach waiting for the last parent to pick up their "kid."  It was getting dark and this'd happened before.  "Don't they realize how much it costs me to be the soccer coach?  Don't they care about their kid?"  They finally drive up about 30 yards away and stay in their car while their son says goodbye and runs off.   I'm frustrated and resent their behavior - they didn't meet my expectations.  I'm the one with the problem, what do "I" do about it?

Do I have the right to impose my standards on other people?  Employers have the right to impose their standards on employees.  Parents have the right and responsibility to set standards for adolescents.  Boy Scouts agree to a set of standards when they join.  Even so, my question remains:  "Do I have the right to impose my standards on other people?"

My resentment caused by others not meeting my standards seems to cause much pain - relationships suffer.  Why do I maintain opinions regarding other people or how they behave?

Within the only church in town, the standards will be based on the revealed Word of God.  They'll allow for a broad range of more authentic behaviors from the congregates - honest beauty within community.  The grace that God has shown His people may also guide the relationships.


Just for today...

"An expectation is a pre-meditated resentment . . . I have the right to choose my own standards of conduct, but I do not have the right or the power to impose those standards on others."  Courage to Change (p. 153)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...