Friday, June 21, 2024

June 21st - Are Bike Tours a Way to Bathe in Kindness?

The story...

What does kindness mean to me?  I remember when older, wiser, and more powerful adults invested their time with me and took an interest in what I thought, did and hoped for - they were kind.  I remember people allowing me to share my thoughts when they had more knowledge or knew where I was wrong - I may not have even been aware of their kindness.  I remember people witnessing my sadness and coming along side me until I felt better - kindness felt.  I remember riding my bicycle across Iowa in July; people fed me, watered me, entertained me, and provided a safe, more comfortable, place - the whole bike journey and Iowa seemed kind.

RAGBRAI - Kindness

So, am I a kind person?  I'd like to think I am.  Yet, I've limits to the degree that I'm willing to engage in other people's lives and share my limited resources.  Why?  I don't want to characterize myself as self-centered yet I know that I am selfish by nature - I've a track record that confirms my selfishness.  I was busy doing the work thing, raising my family, and amassing the stuff I thought I needed to achieve my life expectations - the "too busy" thing is no longer an excuse for not being kind.

I want to be characterized as a kind person.  So what's my game plan for being kind?  I expect kindness is something different than love.  Maybe it's love worked out amongst others.  As a supervisor, it was unkind to not hold subordinates accountable for improving and achieving good results.  As a parent, it was unkind to try to fulfill all your children's desires and thereby stunt their growth.  So, I don't think kindness is always doting on or "helping" another person.  I expect that kindness is intertwined, with love, justice, and respect too.  Sometimes, kindness may mean separating from one you love, saying goodbye, so that they can venture out on a new path that they must say hello to without you.  I know that God is kind yet true to all of His other qualities too.  People who've been pruned or disciplined by God may not feel kindness until they came closer to God, with a right heart - the peace of God.

The only church in town will have people who are living the good life in Christ, trusting God's promises, and more rightly related to God in actualities.  People would live out their life circumstances together and experience love worked out.  Like selfish caterpillars morphing into a kinder and more loving butterfly - the power of God transforming people like me.


Just for today...

"If I concentrate on being tolerant and kind at all times, with everyone, it will soon become and automatic reaction, no matter how trying the circumstances might be.  This attitude will color whatever I do an make me more acceptable, to myself as well as to others."  One Day at a Time (p. 173)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...