Thursday, January 18, 2024

January 18th - A peaceful life

The story...

Yesterday was an odd day where I had few responsibilities, obligations, pains, or unmet obligations.  The weather was beautiful, the house was warm and I was well fed - I felt loved too.  I guess you could characterize my day as peaceful yet I know that most of the days ahead won't be like that.  Even within those good conditions, I knew that there would be a storm on the horizon.


What are the ingredients of peacefulness?  Maybe I'd be peaceful if: all those within my circle of concern are without need; my favorite sports teams are all successful; the weather is "good;" my investments are valued close to their all-time highs, my health is within the top 10% for my age group; the other government parties don't have too much power; there's nothing I need to fix; my work is admired; people let me know that they love me; and my pastor is what he preaches - an example of imputed righteousness worked out in word and deed.  That ain't all going to happen.  Must we disengage and isolate from the world in order to sense ongoing peacefulness?

The only church in town will share what God revealed to and through the Apostle Paul as he wrote about the actualities of his life from prison.  He enjoyed a gift of peace from the Spirit of God - a sort of peace that permeates your being from a source that is God himself.  The Spirit of God works through those who are righteous in God's sight - a righteousness that only God Himself can provide through Christ.

Praise God, be thankful, walk humbly, love your neighbor as yourself, and live peacefully my friend.  Walking through this life humbly with God, your "Abba," in Christ.


Just for today...

"I had never experienced a peaceful way of life. With myself, I was constantly fighting against the guilt, fear, and anger that ruled my life. With others, I was always fighting for some cause or belief, trying to make them see that my position was the right one. Of course I never won, and the wars never ceased."  Hope for Today (p. 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...