Wednesday, January 10, 2024

January 10th - Anchored in the present

The story...

Thankfully, I've learned the value of focusing on, and being more aware of, the present - where life actually occurs.  Our bodies sense what's going on now even though the cause of the sensation is likely rooted in the past.  We can read about God yet our spirit senses His Spirit in the present as He intervenes or as His Spirit interacts with our spirit as we quietly kneel.  We've reasons to expect what will happen in the future yet each new day's unknown.  How many days have we ended the day thinking  "I never would have expected that?"  Yes, we'll all experience, and recall, each day together in different ways.  Oh... to be more in synch with others, listening, to grow our understanding of "what's going on?"

Today, I will be writing what I plan to say at my Momma's memorial service scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Almost all of my parent's descendants will be attending the memorial service.  All those congregating will be focused in on the past when we hear, and remember, some of who she was to each other.  Everyone will have lost a relationship - a chunk of who we are and a partial cause of who we'll be.  Yes the "we" is valuable and so much more perceptive than the limited "me." 

I plan on speaking from my heart, displaying the love that I have for my momma, each and every family member, and for "That Than Which there is No Greater," our God, our Creator, our Savior.  I hope that we'll leave the memorial service with a better understanding how "she" reflects the wonderfully different people within the "we" that makes up her family.

When you walk through the doors of the only church in town, you'll have the opportunity to leave the distractions of the world, your community, your home, and the cares of the world outside.  There'll be opportunities to focus on the present - the spiritual reality that's true in the present and will exist throughout all eternity.  The congregation will be a wonderful "we" who share a common faith in a common Creator. Lord, and Savior.

Maybe there's a way to integrate "we" into a favorite motto for my living a good life?   "Live for today, plan for tomorrow and think on eternity."


Just for today...

"To break the cycle of worry and fear, I'm learning to focus all my attention on this very moment . . . These bits of reality help rescue me from "what ifs" and "should haves" by anchoring me in the present."  Courage to Change (p. 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 18th - The value of "we" in community

The story... My four siblings and I lived closely together.  Each family member seemed to provide something that other family members lacked...